Place de la Bourse Bordeaux
One of the most beautiful and popular places in Bordeaux is the Place de la Bourse. It deserves a special place on this list, both for its historical and sentimental importance. It is one of the most visited spots every day by residents and tourists alike. Regardless of the time of year, it is a meeting place.
It is located right in the centre, close to the docks, so the scenery couldn't be better. It lives next to the river and a host of beautiful buildings steeped in history and charm.
What is Place de la Bourse Bordeaux?
Although this is not its official designation, we have said that it is the city's central square. As well as being surrounded by some of the most important buildings, such as the town hall, the Place de la Bourse Bordeaux is opposite the Mirror of Water, a favourite spot for many.
It is a large square inaugurated in 1749. It represents one of the most important symbols of prosperity and modernisation of the city of Bordeaux.
How to get to the Place de la Bourse in Bordeaux?
The Place de la Bourse Bordeaux is located in the heart of the city centre, very close to the old town. It is easy to get there and there are several options for public transport. By bus, there are many lines that pass through this area. You also have the option of the tram that runs through the whole centre.
Without a doubt, our recommendation is always to walk. As well as being close to many of the main points of interest, it will also allow you to enjoy the day-to-day life of the city. It is in an area where you can enjoy a coffee or a glass of wine at any time, an experience not to be missed.
History of the Place de la Bourse in Bordeaux
Around the 17th century and thanks to its economic activities, mainly related to maritime trade and wine, the city of Bordeaux entered a period of prosperity. This was despite the fact that it was still enclosed within the great medieval ramparts. With the arrival of the new intendant, Claude Boucher, changes began.
He enlisted the services of the royal architect, Jacques Gabriel, who was to design what was to be the opening up of Bordeaux to the river area, as well as a beautiful view for all visitors and locals. After his first visit, he presented three large and ambitious projects, and the authorities chose the Place Royale.
The royal architect died in 1742, but his son continued with the project. In 1749, it was inaugurated, with a large equestrian statue of Louis XV in the centre of the square.
During the French Revolution, the statue was removed and melted down, and the square was renamed Place de la Liberté. Subsequently, it was renamed Place Royale again until 1848 when it received its final name, Place de la Bourse.
During the period of the French Revolution, a large tree was placed on the site of the statue, which was later uprooted in 1828.
During the Restoration period, a marble fountain was placed here in the form of a column topped by a capital and a globe. This was replaced in 1869 by a larger one called the Three Graces. It referred to the Empress Eugenie, Queen Victoria and Isabella II of Spain.
It is one of the most representative works of 18th-century French classical architecture.
It is flanked to the north by the Palais de la Bourse, where the Bordeaux Chamber of Commerce and Industry is currently located. To the south is the National Customs Museum of Bordeaux, built between 1735 and 1738. This is a true masterpiece with beautiful sculptures representing Mercury and Minerva.
The pediments and mascarons of the other buildings represent, among many other things, the grandeur of French royalty throughout history. Perhaps the icing on the cake of this square is the beautiful and imposing clock that crowns it, made by the city's craftsman, Hustin.
In 2006, as part of Bordeaux's modernisation project, the city's water mirror was built on the Place de la Bourse. In addition to being the largest in the world, it has also become the city's main tourist icon.